Saturday, November 24, 2012

Beginning My Cleaning Journey

In 2007 I moved from a junk filled 3 bedroom single family home to a 1000 ft one bedroom apartment with very little closet space. We threw out tons of stuff. Mountains. It was very freeing and for the most part I do not regret letting go of so much stuff.

I was very happy in my new home for awhile and when I think back over what was so wonderful, what stands out is spotless surfaces and little to worry about. Everything had a place because there wasn’t much of anything. There was also an opportunity to create a new me because I no longer had to worry about everything I had been carting around from place to place my entire adult life.

Five years later and this apartment has no spotless surfaces left. My mind is never clear and I blame part of that on my living space. I want to regain that weightless happiness I felt when we first came here. We’re also planning to move soon and I want to make that as easy as possible.

I hope that sticking with this blog will keep me focused on achievable goals. I have a lot to declutter and I usually get so overwhelmed that I can’t start cleaning anything. I’ve got both huge and tiny projects and I plan to pick up tiny projects in between the big ones so I don’t feel like fixing my space is so impossible.

This weekend I need to tackle clearing a path to my desk so I can begin a new class on Coursera on Monday. I also think it is about time that I finish painting and decoupaging the IKEA step stool I thought I needed so desperately for so long. It has been sitting in the corner since the beginning of the year.

1 comment: